What is Pension Credit?
Pension Credit is an income-related benefit to give you some extra money in retirement.
There are two different parts to it. Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income to a guaranteed £167.25 if you’re single, or £255.25 if you’re a couple. This does not include income from:
• Attendance Allowance
• Christmas Bonus
• Disability Living Allowance
• Personal Independence Payment
• Housing Benefit
• Council Tax Reduction
If your weekly income is higher than the thresholds, you may still be eligible to claim if you have a severe disability, are a carer, or must pay housing costs (e.g. a mortgage).
Savings Credit is extra income if you have some savings or your income is higher than the base state pension. You could get up to £13.73 extra a week if you’re single, or £15.35 if you’re a couple. Please note that this is only available to those who reached state pension age before April 2016.
How to claim
To claim you can telephone the Pension Credit claim line on 0800 99 1234, or textphone on 0800 1690133. A friend or family member can talk on the phone for you, but you must be present. It will help if you have the following details on hand when you call:
• National Insurance number
• Bank account details
• Information about your income, savings and investments
• Information about your pension (if you have one)
• Details of any housing costs (such as mortgage, interest payments, service charges)
• Partner’s details (if you have a partner)
What other benefits can you get with pension credit?
• It’s unlikely you’ll have to pay Council Tax (unless other people live with you).
• You’ll get free NHS dental treatment, and you can claim help towards the cost of glasses and travel to hospital.
• You’ll get a Cold Weather Payment of £25 when the temperature is 0°C or below for 7 days in a row.
• If you rent your home, you may get your rent paid in full by Housing Benefit.
• If you own your home, you may be eligible for help with mortgage interest, ground rent and service charges.
• If you’re a carer, you may get an extra amount known as Carer Premium, or Carer Addition if it’s paid with Pension Credit. This is worth up to £36.85 a week.
• If you’re over 75, the BBC has announced that from 2020 you’ll need to be claiming Pension Credit to get a free TV licence.
• If you have a disability, you may get an extra amount known as Severe Disability Addition. This may be up to £65.85 a week.