Gift Aid

What is Gift Aid?

It’s a scheme introduced by the government which allows charities to reclaim the tax that supporters have already paid on their donations. For every £1 donated, the taxman gives us an extra 25p, so our income from your donations increases by almost a third. We can only claim on donations made within the last four years’ tax unclaimed before this will be lost forever, so please act now.

Why 25p per £1?

It’s linked to the current basic rate of income tax (which is currently 20 per cent). As a basic rate taxpayer, for every £1.25 you earn, you will pay 25p to the taxman and receive £1 in your pocket. It is this 25p we claim.

Am I eligible?

If you are a UK taxpayer and have paid enough income or capital gains tax in the UK, in relation to the financial year, to cover the amount we’ll reclaim, then yes: please complete a Gift Aid declaration.

Please note if you become ineligible in the future due to ceasing to pay enough tax to cover the gift aid recovered on all gifts you have made to charities and community amateur sports clubs then we need to draw your attention to the HMRC guidance in section 25(8) Finance Act 1990 which states: “Where the tax treated as deducted from a gift by virtue of subsection (6) above exceeds [sic ref section 25(6) FA1990] the amount of income tax and capital gains tax with which the donor is charged for the year of assessment, the donor shall be assessable and chargeable with income tax at the basic rate on so much of the gift as is necessary to recover an amount of tax equal to the excess.” Please ensure therefore that you inform us if you are no longer an eligible tax payer so we can update our records appropriately.

Where can I get a Gift Aid declaration form?

Please complete one of our forms which can be obtained from our shop on the High Street in Lutterworth once complete please return it to the same address. If you require assistance please call 01455 557116.

What if I’m a pensioner?

We can still claim the full 25 per cent on your donations, providing you pay at least as much tax as we will be reclaiming in the year in which you made your gifts. As a pensioner, for example, you may still pay tax on a private pension scheme or a savings account, or pay Capital Gains Tax if you sell property or shares.

What if I’m a higher-rate taxpayer?

We can only claim the basic rate back, but this is still extremely valuable. You will also be able to claim additional personal tax relief on your self-assessment form.

I’m not eligible; should I still return the form?

Yes please. It would be a huge help if you could return a declaration to us letting us know not to claim. This way, we won’t contact you about Gift Aid again in the future, saving us time and money.

I’ve already completed a declaration for another charity. Do I need to complete one for Age Concern

Yes. You will need to complete a separate form for each charity you want to benefit from Gift Aid.

What else does ticking the Gift Aid box commit me to?

Nothing at all. It just ensures that, if you donate to us, we can claim money back from HM Revenue and Customs.

How long does my declaration last for?

Until you tell us to stop. At the moment, and as long as you remain eligible, your declaration lets us reclaim past (up to four years), present and future donations.

What do I do if I need more information on Gift Aid?

If you would like to find out more, or if you would prefer to make your Gift Aid declaration over the phone, please contact us on 0870 240 6993 and we will do our very best to help

What if I change my mind, or am no longer paying tax?

Please contact us either by letter to Age Concern Lutterworth & District, 7 High Street, Lutterworth, Leicestershire LE17 4AT, or by e-mail and tell us that you no longer wish us to claim the tax on your gift.

Will it really make a difference?

Yes. You will be increasing the value of your donation, enabling us to increase and maintain the services we are able to provide to the people of Lutterworth and the surrounding villages.

If you would prefer not to donate through the shop but would still like to make a donation, you can do so in the following ways:


By cheque made payable to ‘Age Concern Lutterworth & District‘. Please put your name and address on the back of the cheque so that we can send you a thank you letter. Please send by post to:

Age Concern Lutterworth & District, 7 High Street, Lutterworth, Leicestershire LE17 4AT

Need help?

If you have any queries about making a donation, please call us on 01455 557116.